The church was established as a preaching station in the sixth century by St. Drostan, a Culdee monk, (an early Celtic missionary). The Norman tower dates from around 1180. It is a category ‘A’ listed building and is one of five similar towers close to Markinch. The tower is 16 feet square and 80 feet tall. The current church building dates from 1786. A spire was added to the tower during the period 1807-1810 at which time the church was extended. A clock was installed in 1839 and then was renewed in 1929.
The church is open to the public and there are toilets on site, click for further details.