Scotlandwell takes its name from the Well, whose health-giving waters bubble up under a canopy erected in 1858 by local laird Thomas Bruce of Arnot (1808-91). It was first recorded c.1245 as Fons Scocie, ‘the well of Scotland (north of the Forth)’. And it was on the main route linking Inverkeithing with Perth.
The Well was clearly of national significance in medieval times and was visited by medieval pilgrims on the way to St Andrews.
The Fife Pilgrim Way was opened in 2019. It’s the second long-distance walking route managed by Fife Coast and Countryside Trust.